Wednesday, April 29, 2015

New Day...New Food?

Adam and I have never been the models of healthy eating.  We were both raised in homes that were heavy on the meat and potatoes.  Pasta 3 times a week wasn't uncommon in our house.  We ate takeout far more than I like to admit and beer was a weekend staple.

When we got our gym memberships we realized that our food had to change, what's the point of working out 4 or 5 times a week if we're just going to eat like crap?  We decided to take baby steps. We went a week without takeout and a weekend without beer.  That wasn't so hard.  Then it was two weeks.  We're now about 10 weeks in.  I think we've bought beer three times - my birthday, Easter (we were guests at someone else's home and we were taught to always show up with beer) and 2 weekends ago when Adam had a really rough week at work and really wanted a beer.  8 tallboys have lasted 2 weeks - something that was previously unheard of.

Trying to figure out what we should be eating was hard and still is - there are probably going to be a lot of food posts here.  Salad for every meal doesn't seem realistic (or that yummy) but trying to figure out what other options there are is difficult.  We have a few go to meals now: Adam's Summer Berry Salad, Egg White Omelette, and what my little brother calls a 'Plowman's Platter'.  You can also check out my pinterest page for some of my favourite recipes and things I'm waiting to try.

We started out being told that I should be eating 1600 calories a day and Adam about 2200.  I have been using My Fitness Pal to track my food intake and try and stay on track.  More about how we're reaching those goals to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment