Since we started going to the gym, something I've learned is that protein is extremely important. As my pictures show you, I've been pretty tiny in the past, but for a good portion of that time I was what you would call 'Skinny Fat' - I was really small but I has very little muscle. Protein is the key to building muscle (so I'm told).
One of my post gym go to meals has become Egg White Omelettes, they're quick, they're easy, and they're delicious. Simple Ham & Cheese is one of my top choices - lots of protein and it's a classic.
(You'll notice that the majority of my recipes give measurements by weight and not volume. Measuring by weight is much more accurate for many things, I suggest investing in a food scale, but if you don't have one, I'll give the approximate volume amounts as well).
Ham & Cheese Egg White Omelette
5g Butter (yes - I said butter. You can also use a non-stick spray or cooking oil if you prefer)
189g Liquid Egg Whites (apx 6 egg whites or 3/4 cup)
20g Medium Cheddar Cheese (this is about two-thirds of a serving according to the package in most cases)
3 slices Black Forest Ham Diced
Siracha Hot Sauce to taste
1. Melt butter in frying pan over medium low heat
2. Pour in egg whites, allow to partially cook - should be white all over but still liquid on top
3. Add cheese and ham - cover frying pan with lid until set, about 3 minutes.
That's it. Less than 10 minutes to a quick and easy meal great for Breakfast, Lunch of Dinner.
|My Omelette with a side of baby carrots.|
Some Ingredient Tips
- I buy the boxes of liquid egg whites at Costco, I find them less expensive than the major grocery stores.
- I like Pillers Simply Free Sandwich meats. I know there are many people who will argue against eating sandwich meat but I find them quick and convenient and they are reasonably healthy.