The beginning of fall also means comfort food. Comfort food is often also calorie heavy and not so diet/macro friendly. While the beauty of IIFYM is that you can eat whatever you want as long as it fits a big bowl of Macaroni and Cheese (not the box stuff, the REAL stuff) can quickly take up your fats and carbs for the day.
I discovered a recipe on Simply Quinoa for 5-ingredient Quinoa Mac & Cheese and knew I had to try it. I adapted the original recipe a little bit for a few reasons.
1) I want to know the weight of things so I get my macros right (1 small butternut squash is too vague for me).
2) I didn't have almond milk (not a big fan) but I did have some lite Coconut milk and figured that would work just fine (I was right).
So here's my version of the recipe and the delicious end result!
Quinoa Mac'n'CheeseServes 4
354 calories/14g fat/43g carbs/14g protein
- 425.00g Butternut Squash (cut into apx 1" cubes) - this is a small squash
- 2/3 cup Lite Coconut Milk(I used A Taste of Thai)
- 114.00 g Cheddar cheese (this is a little less than 2cups of shredded cheese - I used medium)
- 172g dry weight Quinoa (apx 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard (more if you like)
- Salt to taste
4 - Once done, drain the squash and put into blender. Add coconut milk - start with 1/3 cup and add more if needed to get a silky smooth consistency. I needed about 2/3cup.
6- Add the sauce to your cooked Quinoa and mix. Add cheese.
7- Optional, transfer to ramekins and bake at 375° until bubbly (I didn't do this as I'm bringing it to work for lunches.
Super delicious, getting some veggies and feeling like I just ate something super bad for me.
Sidenote - that squash, before you add the cheese...it could be eaten on its own as soup, it's SO good. I might try that, a little more coconut milk to thin it out a little. YUM!